Looking for a fresh and flavorful side for dinner or recipe for your next potluck or picnic? This cucumber strawberry salad is sweet, refreshing, and the perfect addition to any spring or summer meal.
There is nothing like a fresh strawberry in all of its juicy sweet goodness. And pairing this sweet berry with a cool and refreshing cucumber just makes sense. While these are often a favorite to top a leafy salad with, I wanted to make a fun summer salad to serve with a summer picnic or BBQ.
Next time you get the grill out, make this cucumber strawberry salad to serve alongside your favorite dinner. The fresh and sweet flavors will pair perfectly with any savory grilled dish or BBQ.
How to make Cucumber Strawberry Salad
Prepare your honey balsamic vinaigrette
This light and slightly sweet vinaigrette pairs wonderfully with the strawberry, cucumber, and onion. You can leave this out, but I wouldn’t recommend it. The extra zing from the white balsamic vinegar really brings the whole salad together.
White balsamic vinegar
And set aside.
Preparing the strawberry cucumber salad
Dice the cucumbers and strawberries so that they are close the other same side, I chose to dice mine in 1/2 inch cube-ish shapes. This way several bites of each can make it in one mouthful!
Thinly slice the fresh basil.
Thinly slice and dice the red onion.
Add the honey vinaigrette and mix well. If adding feta to the whole dish, mix this in as well. The feta can also be served on the side and topped just before serving in individual portions.
Prep and Storage Tips
This can be made the day of serving to allow all of the flavors to meld together. The basil becomes stronger the longer it sits mixed into the salad. IIt also tastes lovely prepared just before serving. I would not make this the day before as the fruit and cucumber can become a bit soggy in texture if it sits too long.
Store in an airtight container and eat within 2 days.
What to serve Cucumber Strawberry Salad with
While I do enjoy snacking on this salad straight out of the bowl, it balances out a traditional BBQ or savory meal quite well.
Pulled pork sandwiches
grilled steak and veggie kabobs
Grilled chicken with pepper and potato packets
Did you make this fresh summer salad yet?
Cucumber Strawberry Salad
- 1 1/4 cup strawberries, diced 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cup cucumbers, diced 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup loosely packed basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced and diced about 1/4 of a medium onion.
- 2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp olive oil
- pepper to taste, or a couple turns of a grinder.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the honey balsamic vinaigrette. Set aside.
- Add the diced strawberries, diced cucumbers, sliced basil and red onion to a bowl. Pour the honey balsamic vinaigrette on top. Mix gently until well combined.
- If addiing feta. Mix in prior to serving or serve on the side for people to add individually if desired.
Not ready to make this cucumber and strawberry salad just yet? Add it to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Want more fresh and fun recipes? I’ve got you covered with a few tasty ones below!