Your savory soups and fresh crisp salads will always have a crunchy side-kick with this 5-minute homemade whole wheat crouton recipe. You’ll never spend $$$ on fancy store-bought croutons when you have this versatile recipe to whip up at home!
These perfect crunchy seasoned croutons instantly upgrade any soup or salad. My favorite fall soup, roasted butternut squash and carrot soup is not complete without these cubes of toasted goodness generously sprinkled on top.
I honestly don’t enjoy the hardness of many store-bought croutons. Just thinking about it makes the roof of my mouth hurt.. The airy crunch of these homemade croutons is my ideal amount of crispy without the hard sharp edges that store-bought croutons always seem to have.
Plus, when I thought they would only last a few days in an airtight container, I was incredibly excited to find out that I was wrong. (It’s the little things in life- really!) After one week, they were still crunchy and flavorful.
How to Make Whole Wheat Croutons
1.Choose a whole wheat bread that you enjoy and is made with simple ingredients.
2. Cube the bread into small squares, about 1 inch x 1 inch. Add oil (either light olive oil or avocado oil). Add seasonings. Spread out on a parchment lined baking sheet.
3. Bake the bread cubes at 425 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until browned and crispy. Make sure to stir halfway through baking.
4. Store in an airtight container on the counter for up to 7 days.
How Long Does it Take to Make Homemade Croutons?
You can prepare these whole wheat croutons in just a couple of minutes and they will bake brown and crispy in only 5 minutes!
So next time you make a salad or soup and want to add something extra special to your meal, toss these in and they will be ready to eat by the time you are done chopping your lettuce or heating up your bowl of soup!
What to Serve with Whole Wheat Croutons?
These whole wheat croutons are amazing on top of any salad or mixed into a piping hot bowl of soup.
Try them with:
Roasted Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
A Classic Cesar Salad
Easy Prep Ahead Tips for Homemade Croutons
These whole wheat croutons can be made ahead of time by up to a week. Store them in an airtight container on the countertop.
tips, tricks, and faq’s for roasted butternut squash and carrot soup
For Gluten Free Croutons– Use a gluten free bread!
Budget Friendly– A batch of these whole wheat croutons will make 6 servings and costs less than $0.50 to make.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to rate it below and tell me what you think!
Homemade Whole Wheat Croutons
- Sheet pan
- 3 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tsp light olive oil
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or sprat with cooking spray.
- Cube the bread slices into small, 1 inch x 1 inch cubes.
- Toss the cubes with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Lay the cubes out on the sheet pan.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy. Stir halfway through baking.
- Store in an airtight container on the countertop for up to 1 week.
Not ready to make it just yet? Add this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
[…] Homemade Whole Wheat Croutons from Simply Nourished Home […]